Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Michigan Tour of the UP- day six


Wednesday 9/11-39 miles

We woke to sunny skies which was nice, but we had a problem.  Susan’s knee, that had been bothering her yesterday, was now swollen and she was hobbling around.  She iced it during breakfast, and of course used it as an excuse to slack off on packing.  We had a knee brace with us (old people carry things like that just in case), and Susan put it on.  That, with ice, had helped, and we started out for Brimley State Park.   The good news it was a short day.  The bad news was we headed back the way we had come.   I did some quick flashbacks in my head and could not remember seeing any roads between us and Eckerman’s Corner.  That meant we climbed the big hill we hit 40 mph coming down two days ago. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! But yes, we climbed it.  I was worried about Susan’s knee but should have been worrying about my own problems.  She did fine but I was almost asthmatic by the time I reached the top.  At the top I did the sensible thing and told Susan I thought she should rest her knee.  About 5 minutes later we took off again.

Today’s ride was now sandwiched between Lake Superior on the left and the forest on the right.  We kept hoping to see some wild life but never did.  A moose, bears, deer, porcupine, anything.  We did see a few porcupines flattened on the road but that was it.  The UP is a big hunting area and I’m guessing the animals are pretty good at hiding.   It is certainly rural because we saw very few yoopers either. 

We arrived at the camp site under a bright sky and quickly picked out a grassy spot.   This time the bath house was just a short walk away.  After setting up we walked to the lake shore and looked across a lake that looked as massive as the Atlantic.  We could not see other side.  Or maybe we could see Canada?  I’m not sure.  All these shore line views have begun to run together.  It is still a big lake though. 

After drinking our evening coffee I noticed the clouds rolling in.  This was not good.  The tent has been leaking more, even in the light drizzles.  I covered the tandem with the tarp we carry for that propose and got into the tent just when the storm hit.  It was bad.  The wind blew and the rain came down in buckets.  Where before the tent fly seams had leaked and dropped random drops on the tent mesh below it, now it was a steady stream pouring in from multiple places. We had a serious problem and I had an idea.

I grabbed my rain gear and went out into the storm.  I pulled the trap off the tandem and quickly covered the seats with garbage bags.  I then took the tarp and threw it over the tent and bungeed it down.  Just a side note:  what would life be like without bungees?  I use’em more than WD-40.  Anyway.  I got the tent covered and grabbed a towel from Susan and ran to the bathhouse to dry off.  After a quick toweling I walked out to moon breaking through the clouds.  No, really.  It was clearing off and the rain had stopped.  As we mopped up the tent floor at 1:00AM in the morning we decided to finish the trip in hotels.  About half the folks were in hotels anyway, and the luggage truck came by and still picked up your stuff so it was the plan.  It was a great plan, and it did not matter that it never rained again the whole trip.    It did get cold.
 
Lunch break along the way
 
 


 
We saw this guy checking us out.
 
I think they misspelled that first word on the bottom sign.  I think it only has 3 A's
 

 

 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment